Google Drive still not ready

July 30, 2012

Granted, Google Drive has not matured yet. It’s dvelopers are still in a ‘testing’ stage where they can’t seem to decide wether to stick with the traditional ‘folders’ model or mimic it’s succesful ‘label’ model which has worked well with it’s legacy Gmail.

But one thing they haven’t introduced yet is a form of Syncing between a folder and any other user’s Gdrive folder. This is a function which other virtual/cloud drive companies such as DropBox have already pinned down. For example, if I want to share a folder with one or more people an let them map it to any folder on their Gdrive, let them add, modify and perhaps delete files with everyone seeing the same folder changes under their own account, then there is currently no way to do this.


E-cigarettes – Update

July 16, 2012

As a previous Tobacco smoker that’s tried to kick the habit, I came upon a Credible Alternative.

E-Cigarettes (E-Cigs) have been here since 2007, yet most smokers still seem to be in the dark.
I was both smoking and ‘vaping‘ in 2009 and finally switched to vaping-only since 2010 and vaping ever since.
Having tried all sorts of models, I can can tell that they really do come close to the real experience.

There is nothing electronic about a basic E-Cig. It’s a just marketing hype. An E-cig is just a battery that heats up a wire drenched in flavoured liquid (propylene glycol) called E-Liquid. This gives off water vapour which looks a lot like traditional smoke and some added flavouring which the user can taste. There are no smells left over as the water vapour comes out and disappears. It is safe and odourless for both the vaper and anyone nearby.

E-Liquid can contain nicotine (optionally they can be without), they don’t have the toxins that cause cancer and other diseases because it is not smoke. These were the main incentives for me to switch from smoking to vaping.

With most public places banning real cigarettes, and confessed addicts like me wanting a safer alternative, I really do believe E-Cigs are the future.

GoodBye Firefox

July 16, 2012

It’s been great while it lasted and you lasted longer than my 1GHZ PC.

Since version 13 :

Firefox officially dropped support for XP Service Pack 1

Like a few other die-hards on the internet, I refuse to upgrade to SP2/SP3.
Mainly because those service packs are full of unneccesary bloat.

SP1 runs nicely on my old PC, a fanless (silent) VIA Epia CN1000.
I can still fit SP1 on a 2GB compact flash partition with 1GB free.

SP3 will fit too (with 755MB free) but it really needs another Ghz to run smoothly.

My VIA board will now retire to become a 24 hr web server. I can still run Opera
if I need to browse.

Oh Phoenix, those were the days..

Western Union – Worldwide Fees Shocker.

July 16, 2012

I was trying to find how much it costs to send money between the US and Hong Kong.

Western Union was the first company to spring to my mind as it has shop locations almost everywhere worldwide.

W.U seems like a friendly company judging by it’s wording on it’s websites but it does not make it easy to find the actual cost of a transaction. Only in the US sites is there a calculator to find the total cost. I also came across this article in my searches. So I tried the calclator to find out :-


Jee-e-e-e-zus-ss Kryst ! That’s a 32% fee !!

And I thought Paypal was bad. Paypal inserts +4% in it’s currency conversion and +4% at the seller’s end as a transaction cost. That’s a total of 8%. It’s not good, but it’s nowhere as extortionate as Western Union.

Did you have a Commodore 64 ?

July 16, 2012

From 64K to 64 Bits.

Did you have a Commodore 64 ?

Oh ! That Retro Console brings back fond memories. The styling is truly classic and original.


Well apparently you can re-live those feelings in a modern frame. A new Linux distro called Commodore OS Vision has just come out that encompasses not only emulation of the original machine but also a full modern linux distro in the style of the C64.


Mind you, you’ll have to upgrade from 64K (memory) to 64 bits (cpu word length).